As I explained in this article, a ketogenic diet is a very high fat diet. But, as with anything, there are good and bad choices when it comes to the kinds of fat you should eat.
Essentially, the good fats are saturated and monounsaturated. They have the greatest healthy impact on body fat, cholesterol, blood triglycerides, and joint and brain health.
The bad fats are trans fats and most vegetable oils.
I’ll make it easier.
- Beef and pork fats (lard, tallow, bacon fat, etc.)
- Cheese (cheddar, colby, feta, mozzarella, swiss, provolone, ricotta, etc…not American or Velveeta)
- Coconut oil
- Cream cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream
- Olive oil
- Nuts (almonds, macadamia, brazil, hazelnut, pistachios, walnuts, pecans)
- Any other vegetable oils (corn, vegetable, safflower, canola)
- Vegetable shortening
- Any other not on the good fats list
Stick with the good list and you’ll never go wrong.